Genuine bamboo cutting boards make lovely personalized gifts. They’re durable and stand up to everyday use, but also beautiful, making them perfect to display as décor in any kitchen.
Laser engraving these eco-friendly boards is a fairly simple process that produces stunning results. All you’ll need is the cutting board; LAZ32 or your desired cleaner; and if paint-filling, you’ll need masking tape, LazerDark Clear Coat, and LazerDark Black or Dark Brown (or clear coat and paint of your choice).
Recommended settings vary depending on the brand, watt, and model of your laser, but as a guideline these work the best:
- 35-watt: 600 DPI; Speed 25%; Power 60%
- 60-watt: 400 DPI; Speed 35%; Power 85%
To personalize bamboo cutting boards:
- Vector cut the mask for a guide on the laser bed. Place the cutting board on the mask. Test for correct marking position by lasering a test piece, or tape a clear piece of plastic to the board and engrave.
- Your engraving will vary from light to dark, showing bamboo’s natural beauty.
- Clean with LAZ32. If paint-filling, cover the board with masking tape, using a squeegee to remove bubbles or wrinkles. Engrave your art, spray with LazerDark Clear Coat, and then LazerDark paint. Allow it to dry and remove the mask from the board and letters/graphics with closed areas. Paint-filled boards are not recommended for food contact.
—Cheryl Loban, JDS Industries