- A website is one of the most important ways to market anything nowadays and is the best tool for advertising. If you have the staff to help, it’s good to keep your website fresh by altering the banner or adding new items to your home page often. This will keep people coming back to see what new product is being offered.
- Utilize email. Have customers sign up to receive emails so they are always informed on new products, sales, etc. Send emails to remind your customers of holidays or important events in your area, such as graduation or large sporting events. Email is free and instantaneous.
- Take advantage of other companies’ free marketing tools that can easily be linked to your website. Putting what you show out there will help generate more interest in your business.
- Use printed materials such as retail catalogs that show completed items so your customer can get an idea of what the finished product will look like.
- Does your store name limit you? To branch out, you may need to rebrand. If you are only known for trophies and changing or adding to your name is not an option, send out fliers and emails to show how you have expanded. This could be promotional products such as pens, keychains or magnets given away with orders or passed around the community or other businesses. These products also boost word-of-mouth advertising for you, so don’t be shy to ask your customers to pass on their experience to others. For the local coach that comes in only for medals, guide him or her toward gifts for anniversaries or birthdays.
- Summer brings a great opportunity for marketing gifts with craft fairs and art festivals. Take advantage with generally personalized items you can sell right away such as a single initial, but also pepper your booth with more extravagant pieces to show off the scope of your abilities.
—Brenna Walsh, JDS Industries